Welcome to four ninth grade Pine Point students blog! We will be posting essays, poems and all sorts of English related things on this blog.

Enjoy!

Ceilie, Timmy, Lydia, Sarah

Monday, April 6, 2009

Timmy's England Writing

Sorry this is late, but here is my writing from England.

Day 1 Writing

I have felt three main emotions on this trip so far: exhaustion, excitement, and serenity. Exhaustion is very present because our flight left at 9 A.M. Therefore I, being a slow riser, had to wake up at 1:30 in the morning [S-V split participle phrase]. This has led to a long day. Second, I am quite excited for what is to come. I have never been to England before and have only a vague idea of what to expect. This trip will bring me new surprises and new opportunities to try new things. Finally, this trip has made me feel calm. So far we have taken a sleepy bus ride and a semi-energetic plane ride, so I have been sitting down in a tranquil state for the better part of the day. This has left me feeling very calm. These three emotions will probably show up at different times later in this trip, but I’m sure I will encounter many others along the way.

Day 2 Writing

The fence is made up of countless black pillars. They seem to radiate heat. The sun only reflects on a small part, but they all shine. They stand tall and proud, doing their job. Everything outside stays out, and everything inside is trapped there.

I’m sitting at an old picnic table. The edges are smooth and rounded from years of use. Next to me stands an ashtray. It is elevated on a cylindrical column to allow easy access from the table. The tan and white tubes sit there lazily. Most are burnt to a crisp, but all appear to gloat about the damage they’ve done.

Day 3 Writing

Today, we went to the Underground. By this, I mean that we took the subway or “the tube” as it is known locally. It was much like the subways of New York, although the station names were different, as I expected. After returning to the surface, we walked around searching for a place to eat. Finally, we came upon a small pub where we hurriedly ate some food. It was scrumptious, but we were soon off to our next destination.

Day 4 Writing

As we pass through the hustling and bustling streets of London, I can just see the top of the Tower, but my vision soon grows foggy. At first, the clouds send down a fine mist. I relish the moistness, but my thoughts soon turn sour as the sky unleashes upon us by sending down an ocean from above. We, except for the ones who brought raincoats or umbrellas, are soon drenched. We spot the visitor’s center and scurry inside. The soft pitter-patters of the rain lead my eyes into the distance where they get lost in the stormy skies. I soon notice movement. Tom Wheeler, an old classmate, has returned. We talk of old topics, of new ones, and everything else in between. Time flies quickly by, and the rain has stopped. We gather our things and head off for our next destination.

Day 5 Writing – Sonnet

The Sky

The Sky is truly a wondrous thing.
It can make you feel happy or sad,
Or particularly glum if the weather is bad.
If the sun shines bright, you may just want to sing!

If the wind is just right, you could hear a slight ring,
Which alone could make you quite glad,
Or transport you back to a lass or a lad.
The sky alone can improve everything.

At night, the sky begins to change.
Instead of excite or depress, it make you calm;
Honestly, the sky is very strange.

You could feel washed over by a healing balm.
The vast blueness could even arrange
For you to be rid of every qualm.

Day 6 Writing

Here is sit in the classroom. Names of past students are carved into the wall. I look through the parted curtains towards the uninviting sky. Gray and dangerous, it looks back at me. I avert my eyes and think back upon the day. The thick walls at Windsor Castle, the portrait-lined rooms, and the Chapel at Eton came to mind. Our audio-guided tour of the castle was, although a bit strange, quite interesting. Did you know that if a knight was cast out of his kingdom, his shield was kept on the ceiling, but the coat of arms was removed? He would not be forgotten for the crime he committed. This sin could be brought back to haunt others, keep them in line, or for no reason at all. This day has involved a lot of walking, and I am, for now, content to relax, write, and watch the weather. The cloudy skies may take a turn for the worse.

Day 7 Writing

The train glides along at a steady pace. Cities, farms, and many a tree pass by my window-side. After being in the city for so long, it is nice to get a break. The rolling green hills flow out into the distance. Some are pure green, but others and speckled with sheep and other animals. As it speeds along the track, the train hardly makes a sound. A small hum can be heard, but it is soothing rather than aggravating. It seems to invite sleep rather than scare it away. I am not impervious to its spell. My eyelids grow heavy, but then they snap open to finish writing.

No comments: