Welcome to four ninth grade Pine Point students blog! We will be posting essays, poems and all sorts of English related things on this blog.

Enjoy!

Ceilie, Timmy, Lydia, Sarah

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

lydias essay 4

Lydia Schulz
Mr. H. Salsich
English 9
21 October 2008

The Beauties Of Appreciation
An Essay Discussing Appreciation in Zora Neale Hurston’s Essay “How It Feels To Be Colored Me”

Constantly in life, people are judging themselves, saying they need to be better or more confident. With the world that we live in, it can be difficult for people to stop comparing themselves or their appearances to those of big icons and celebrities. Some people might think, “Where does that confidence come from? How can they always seem so vibrant?” not realizing that all they need to do is have some appreciation for themselves. Zora Neale Hurston certainly knows how to appreciate herself, and now I must figure out how to do the same.

TS: As we can tell from her essay, “How It Feels to be Colored Me,” Zora Neale Hurston has much appreciation for who she is. SD: One aspect of Ms. Hurston’s personality that she truly appreciates is her culture. CM: She seems to be undoubtedly connected to her roots and what it was like to be little Zora of Orange County. CM: When she “set[s] [her] hat at a certain angle and saunter[s] down Seventh Avenue, Harlem City, feeling as snooty as the lions in front of the Forty-Second Street Library,” she is embracing and showing off her culture and what it means to her. SD: Many people do not realize how much their race can mean to them, thinking that they may be perceived as prejudiced or racist. CM: But Ms. Hurston compares herself to “a dark rock surged upon, overswept by a creamy sea.” CM: She is showing us that she knows how to really appreciate her race and how it changes her. SD: However, the aspect of Ms. Hurston’s self-appreciation that stuck out to me the most was her soul. CM: When she attended the jazz orchestra and heard the music, she had a profound experience sensed in the depths of her soul. CM: When the man sitting next to her did not feel all that she felt, she was astounded by how superficial a person could be. CM: This shows us that no matter what we look like, we are all like brown bags filled with “a jumble of small things priceless and worthless.” CS: All of these things have led her to a better appreciation of herself, for Ms. Hurston herself says, “How can any deny themselves the pleasure of my company! Its beyond me.”
 
TS: So now I think, “What do I appreciate about myself?” and I realize there are multiple things of which I can be appreciative. SD: I came to recognize that though this is unrelated to me as a person, I appreciate the fact that I have a loving and caring family. CM: They are always there to encourage me, to support me, and to offer advice- something I admit I do not always accept. CM: Though I will always have brothers and cousins bothering and teasing me, I know that they would never deny my company, and I appreciate their tolerance. SD: I also realized that I would be a totally different person if it weren’t for my talents. CM: Whether I am learning in a classroom, playing with a sports team, or working in the art room, the things that I do well make me who I am, and we should all appreciate the things that set us apart from others. CM: The fact that I have things I can do with ease is very empowering and I have great appreciation for that. SD: Finally, I am thankful for my confidence. CM: I have never had particular issues with self-esteem or body image, and I think that not being self-conscious has helped me to focus on important things like achieving goals. CM: Being comfortable with myself has aided me in forging strong friendships, pushing myself to the limits, and most importantly, accepting myself. CS: All of these things have led me ultimately to a fine appreciation of myself.
 
These days, we can’t let things we see get to us and make us want to change who we are. Zora Neale Hurston has learned to appreciate herself, and I have followed her example. This is the way to overcome all of those qualms and insecurities, because we are all like brown bags filled with the assorted jumble that makes up who we are. What’s in your bag?

3 comments:

Sarah Shourds said...

Lydia, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your essay. I especially liked your very last line o fthe essay, "Whats in your bag?" I thought it was a very nice way to end the reading, making the reader think some more. Some suggestions would be to maybe make some longer sentences in your third paragraph. It seemed that there were a lot of short sentences, and if you add a couple of longer ones it would hep the paragraph flow nicer. Also, if you labeled your blue highlighted stuff it would help the reader know what your pointing out. Overall your essay was very nice. Good Job!

Ceilie said...

Lydia-
This was a fantastic essay. I especially liked the introductory paragraph. it described exactly what the essay was going to be about, getting straight to the point. I do have minor suggestions though. One would be that your last SD sentence is a little confusing. It isn't very clear whenyou talked about Zora Neale Hurston's personality because I couldn't tell if she appreciated that or you did. Also, the use of "qualms" doesn't seem very apt. Maybe try to find a different word. Great job over all!

Timmy said...

Lydia, I greatly enjoyed your essay. I agree with Ceilie in that your opening paragraph was very smooth and well organized. One thing I noticed was the first commentary of the first chunk of the first body paragraph because it was a bit ambiguous in that the wording wasn't completely right. Second, I think that your FAST word "superficial" doesn't really work. The man didn't really seem to be acting in a superficial manner, but anyway, your writing was superb. Way to be!